Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ponting relieved to break drought

Ricky Ponting said that he was relieved he had broken his century drought, but said the more significant thing was that he had helped repay Australia's bowlers.
“There have been a few good signs in the last few weeks, and I actually told someone in Melbourne that I felt a big score was around the corner,” he said.
“I've had to work harder than ever on my technique, it's the most pressure I have felt in my career. But I'm a very proud person, and I didn't want my career to end on a low. I love the contest too much to give it away. It was important for Michael and I to get Australia in a good position, and the Test is now set up beautifully for us.”
Asked what the century meant to him, Ponting said, “During a lean trot it's amazing how little things creep into the mind. I had a really clear mind this innings. Spending time in the middle is what you need in a lean trot, and I now have more confidence than I've had in a long while.”

Special moment

Describing the cathartic moment, he said, “I know I was out by probably two yards if he (Zaheer Khan) had hit. Bit of a brain fade from me, and it would have been a pretty sad end. My short got dirty, my grille jammed into my face, I was spitting out bits of turf so I could get up and smile. Then I had to change my shirt which was probably the highlight of the day for the crowd. Yeah, it was a pretty special moment.”
Michael Clarke, who Ponting said played as well as he could remember, was satisfied with his unbeaten double-hundred. “It's fantastic to have that sort of score beside my name, but if we don't win the Test it will be worth nothing. I'm proud I batted through the day, but we are a long way from being 2-0 up.”

Need a turnaround

R. Ashwin, who bowled without success against the pair, said that India was in need of something special. “It has to come from within,” he said. “Someone has to stand up and turn it around.”
Ashwin defended the bowlers, saying they had done everything they could. “With only 190 in the pocket, you have to save every run,” he said.
“You can't expect anything more from the fast-bowlers, Ishant (Sharma) was clocking 140 (kmph) in the last spell. You can't fault their commitment. As a spinner, there was nothing in the wicket.
“Not that I expect anything from a second-day wicket. My job was to keep it tight, and save runs for the fast-bowlers. But they batted very well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment